Thanks for stopping by.
Some Kind of Delicious is a place for people who love food, just as much as I do. Here I'll share my all-time favorite recipes as well as NEW delicious recipes I find as I go along.You'll also find some delicious products and free printable products. If you have a recipe or product you'd like me to review or feature, drop me a note. I'm always listening. Enjoy!

August 23, 2011

School Lunch Peanut Butter Bars


Woke up in the morning
Put on my new plastic glove
Served some reheated salisbury steak
With a little slice of love
Got no clue what the chicken pot pie is made of
Just know everything's doing fine
Down here in Lunchlady Land

Wow, I never thought I'd be quoting Adam Sandler on my blog. ha! But, it seemed appropriate given that I made "Lunch Lady" Peanut Butter bars. Plus, I thought it was great timing for school being back in session.

The other night I wanted to make a treat for my husband. He had had a really stressful week with a test and the darn stock market. He asked for peanut butter bars. My eyes lit up, because I'm obsessed with peanut butter and chocolate. 

But then he clarified, "No, like the kind you used to eat at school."

Hmm. Well, I was a home lunch girl, but I DID try those delicious bars a time or two. So, I searched online for the most delicious version. And I dare say this is it. 

WARNING: it makes a whole sheet pan of the suckers, so unless you're training for a marathon in order to work off the calories, just plan on sharing these with lots of friends and neighbors. 

Enjoy!!


{SCHOOL LUNCH PEANUT BUTTER BARS}
Cookie Bars
1 c. butter (2 sticks), room temperature
1 c. sugar
2 c. brown sugar
1  1/2 c. peanut butter (I choose smooth)
3 eggs
2 tsp. vanilla
1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
3 c. flour
3 c. quick oats

Chocolate Frosting
4 c. powdered sugar
1/2 c. cocoa powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1/3 c. butter, softened
1/3 c. boiling water
1 tsp. vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Spray a rimmed cookie sheet lightly with non-stick spray.

Cream butter and sugars for 2-3 minutes, until light and fluffy.  Add  peanut butter and vanilla and beat until combined.  Add eggs, one at a time and beat between each addition. Combine flour, baking soda, and salt and add mixture to dough.  Beat to combine.  Add oats and mix until incorporated.  Press dough into prepared pan into a flat layer.  Bake for about 10-12 minutes.  The center should be puffed and set, but still soft.

While crust is baking, prepare frosting.  Whisk together powdered sugar, cocoa powder and salt.  Add butter (make sure it’s soft!), boiling water, and vanilla.  Beat until smooth and glossy.

When cookie crust is done baking, drizzle about 3/4 cups melted (just nuke it in the microwave) peanut butter on top and then spread on frosting.  Let cool and cut into squares to serve. 

 


Pin It!

2 comments:

Talia said...

The stock market is giving zac stressful anxiety filled days as well! good luck to steve!

Kaitlin said...

Sloppy Joe, Sloppy, Sloppy Joe! I'm totally going to try these out.