Thanks for stopping by.
Some Kind of Delicious is a place for people who love food, just as much as I do. Here I'll share my all-time favorite recipes as well as NEW delicious recipes I find as I go along.You'll also find some delicious products and free printable products. If you have a recipe or product you'd like me to review or feature, drop me a note. I'm always listening. Enjoy!

December 6, 2010

White Texas Sheet Cake with Coconut Frosting


No, I'm not a Texan. But I do know a thing or two about Texan pride. They claim everything is BIGGER and better in Texas. Well, I've been there. I've eaten fried gator tail. It's ok. And I even love French Toast made with Texas Toast. But I'm sorry, I can't agree with the statement that everything is better there. However, this cake is "White Texas Sheet Cake." And I think they just might be on to something. This is absolutely one of the tastiest cakes I've made. It hit the spot. Enjoy!

{WHITE TEXAS SHEET CAKE WITH COCONUT FROSTING}
1/3 c. shortening
2 egg whites
2 c. sugar
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
2 c. flour
1 3/4 c. buttermilk
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 tsp. almond flavoring

Icing:
1/2 c. butter, melted
1/2 c. flaked coconut
1/3 c. buttermilk
2 1/2 c. powdered sugar

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour 9x13 pan. In a mixer, beat shortening, egg whites, and sugar together. Add baking soda, salt, flour, buttermilk, vanilla and almond flavoring. Beat on medium speed for about 2 minutes. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake 25-30 minutes or until light golden brown. For icing, combine all ingredients and blend until smooth. Spread icing on warm cake.

Pin It!

2 comments:

Mel said...

Aly - this cake looks amazing! I love Texas sheet cake but have never seen a variation like this. LOVE this idea. By the way, I just read your about page and seriously started laughing about the digital picture frame. So cute!

Anna said...

I came upon this recipe a week or so ago and was so intrigued. The cake looks so moist and perfect! I made it today and mine looks exactly like yours and turned out exactly how I hoped. YUM. I used butter instead of shortening and accidentally left out 1/2 C powdered sugar, but the cake doesn't seem to have suffered any for it. The slice I had was while the cake was still warm, I'm super curious about how it will be once it's cooled.

Thanks for the great recipe!