Thanks for stopping by.
Some Kind of Delicious is a place for people who love food, just as much as I do. Here I'll share my all-time favorite recipes as well as NEW delicious recipes I find as I go along.You'll also find some delicious products and free printable products. If you have a recipe or product you'd like me to review or feature, drop me a note. I'm always listening. Enjoy!

June 30, 2010

Oatmeal Bread


Have I mentioned how much I love homemade bread? LOVE IT! And this particular recipe is AWESOME. This makes the best toast, especially with homemade plum jam. But really, nothing beats a fresh piece of bread right out of the oven....nothing. 

I know some people can be a little intimidated by making bread...especially without a bread-machine. But if you can follow pre-school age directions, you're going to be just fine, I promise. And look, you don't even necessarily need bread pans. So, stop being a baby and try it. This is a perfect recipe to begin with. Good luck! And enjoy!


{OATMEAL BREAD}

1 c. oats
2 c. water
2/3 c. brown sugar, heaping & firmly packed
2 pkgs. yeast
1/3 c. warm water
Pinch of sugar
2 tsp. salt
5 c. flour
3 T. oil

Boil 2 cups of water and pour over oats in a large mixing bowl. Allow to sit and cool for a couple minutes. Activate yeast by dissolving it in 1/3 cup warm water. Sprinkle the top of the yeast with a pinch of sugar and let it rise for 5 minutes. Add brown sugar and oil to oats. Stir in activated yeast.  Add salt and flour. Knead by hand, until it forms a soft dough ball (just like a baby's bottom). Leave dough in same bowl, cover with a towel and let rise for 1 hour. Divide dough and form into 2 loaves. Grease pans (either casserole dishes or bread pans) and sprinkle the bottom of the pans with oats. Place loaves into pans. Let dough rise again for about 45 minutes. Bake at 350° for 35 minutes. Butter tops when cooked.


Pin It!

No comments: