Thanks for stopping by.
Some Kind of Delicious is a place for people who love food, just as much as I do. Here I'll share my all-time favorite recipes as well as NEW delicious recipes I find as I go along.You'll also find some delicious products and free printable products. If you have a recipe or product you'd like me to review or feature, drop me a note. I'm always listening. Enjoy!

May 18, 2010

Homemade Pita Pockets

One day I was wrapping up my grocery shopping, my son was on the verge of melting down, and I needed to find JUST ONE MORE THING.  

Pita Pockets. 

Well the melt-down began and I couldn't find the blasted pita pockets. And then it hit me, "I bet I could make pita pockets. Someone has to make them before they get to the store, right?" So I came home and looked for a good recipe. 

Two things happened...

1- I fell in love with this recipe. They are absolutely delicious! And for bread, it's really pretty simple. 

2- I had this epiphany that I can make just about anything. And really that's where this whole, "Some Kind of Delicious" began. How touching, right? Those sweet little pita pockets (sense the sarcasm). But honestly, it has sent me on a mission to see what else I can make at home. And most things taste SO much better when you make them yourself. Things like pita pockets (of course), english muffins, burger buns, tortillas, fortune cookies, peanut butter cups, and even diaper cream or laundry detergent. But I've also learned that sometimes the homemade versions aren't worth the time and effort. And I promise I'll tell you if that is ever the case.

That is NOT the case for pita pockets. They are amazing. Try it. Enjoy!

P.S. Just wait to see what we like to put IN these pita pockets, tomorrow. Mmm.

HOMEMADE PITA POCKETS

1 c. warm water
1 T. oil
1 tsp. salt
2 tsp. sugar
3 c. flour
1 1/2 tsp. dry yeast

Combine first 4 ingredients. Add 1 cup of the flour, along with the yeast, and stir to mix. Add remaining flour and knead to make a soft dough. Lightly oil the top, and cover. Set in a warm place to rise, until almost double (about an hour).

Punch dough down and turn onto a lightly floured surface. Using a sharp knife, cut dough into 8 equal pieces. Form each piece into a ball. On a lightly floured surface, roll each ball into a 6- or 7-inch circle. As you roll the rounds, set them aside on a lightly floured countertop or table, and cover loosely with a towel. Let rise for about 25-35 minutes, until slightly puffy. (The rounds will still be thin though!).

Preheat oven to 500°. Place 2 rounds, side-by-side, onto a wire rack, such as is used for cooling things. Place rack in the middle of the oven. Bake for 4-5 minutes, until puffy and just slightly browned. (If bread is too browned, it will be dry and not pliable.)

Remove rack from oven and immediately wrap/layer pita breads in a damp towel, to soften. Continue baking the remaining breads, layering them between damp towels as soon as they’re baked. Allow breads to completely cool.

Cut pita breads in half, or split the top edge, and fill as desired. Store pitas in a plastic zipper bag in the fridge for a few days, or place in the freezer for longer storage. To re-warm pitas, wrap them in a damp towel and then wrap in foil. Place in a warm (200-250°) oven for about 20 minutes. Makes 8 pitas (16 halves).


Pin It!

1 comment:

Amy@happylittleparty.blogspot.com said...

I made this the other day and they were great!! I was nervous, because bread/yeast product and I sometimes don't work out well together. Thanks for your detailed instructions. When I cut one of my cooked circles in half I clapped out loud that they were already "pockets"! So cool!!!