Thanks for stopping by.
Some Kind of Delicious is a place for people who love food, just as much as I do. Here I'll share my all-time favorite recipes as well as NEW delicious recipes I find as I go along.You'll also find some delicious products and free printable products. If you have a recipe or product you'd like me to review or feature, drop me a note. I'm always listening. Enjoy!

May 4, 2010

Homemade English Muffins

Whoa. That is all I have to say. These were so delicious! And they really weren't hard to make. Of course, with any bread you make, you have to plan time to let it rise. But it was WELL worth it. Especially when we topped these muffins with our homemade spicy turkey burgers last night (you'll have to be sure to come back tomorrow for that recipe! Oh my!) I highly, highly recommend this recipe. Enjoy!

HOMEMADE ENGLISH MUFFINS 

1 1/4 c. water, lukewarm
4 c. bread flour
2 1/2 tsp. yeast
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 1/2 tsp. salt
2 small egg whites
Cornmeal

In a large bowl mix yeast into the lukewarm water. Sprinkle with a little sugar and let rest until yeast activates (about 5 minutes). Then add baking soda and 2 cups of bread flour. Mix untill smooth. Allow to sit for 5 minutes uncovered. 

In the meantime, in a separate bowl, beat egg whites with a hand mixer until stiff peaks are formed. Fold egg whites into batter. 

Start to add in the rest of the flour, a 1/4 cup at a time. After the first 1/4 cup, mix in salt. After all the flour is incorporated, pour the dough out onto a flat surface. Knead for about 5 to 6 minutes till it becomes smooth and silky (I used my Kitchenaid mixer's dough hook and skipped the kneading by hand).

Add a little oil to a clean bowl and place the dough into the bowl, turning to coat all sides of dough with the oil. Cover with plastic wrap and allow to rise until double in bulk (1 hour). 

Pour onto a flat surface. Press to release some of the air from the dough. Using a rolling pin roll out to a 1/2 inch thick. Allow dough to rest for 3 minutes to relax. Using a 3-inch cookie cutter, cut out circles. Place the cut out pieces onto some cornmeal. Sprinkle the tops with more cornmeal. Cover with plastic wrap and allow to rest for 45 minutes. 

About 5 minutes before you are ready to cook the english muffins turn on your griddle or fry pan to 350F (medium heat). Fry on one side for about 4 minutes. Then turn over and fry for another 4 minutes. Do this once more for a total of 16 minutes.

Pin It!

No comments: