Thanks for stopping by.
Some Kind of Delicious is a place for people who love food, just as much as I do. Here I'll share my all-time favorite recipes as well as NEW delicious recipes I find as I go along.You'll also find some delicious products and free printable products. If you have a recipe or product you'd like me to review or feature, drop me a note. I'm always listening. Enjoy!

May 28, 2010

Chicken & Dill Dumplings

This is one of those recipes I was talking about that I would never think to try. But my husband urged me and I'm so glad he did! So in honor of him today, I'm posting this recipe. It's unbelievable. You'll love it. Enjoy!

CHICKEN & DILL DUMPLINGS

3 T. butter
1 med. onion, cut into 1-inch pieces
5 med. carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces
½ tsp. dried thyme
1 c. all-purpose flour
1 (14.5-oz) can chicken broth
Coarse salt and pepper
1 ½ lbs. boneless, skinless chicken
thighs, cut into 2-inch pieces
2 T. chopped fresh dill (or 2 tsp. dried)
1 ¾ tsp. baking powder
10 T. milk, divided
1 (10-oz) package frozen peas
 
In a Dutch oven (or a 5-to-6-quart heavy pot with a tight-fitting lid), heat butter over medium heat. Add onion, carrots, and thyme. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until onion is soft, about 5 minutes. Add ¼ cup flour and cook, stirring, 30 seconds. Add broth and bring to a boil, stirring constantly; season with salt and pepper. Nestle chicken in pot; reduce heat to medium-low. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, 20 minutes. Meanwhile, make dumplings: In a medium bowl, whisk together remaining 3/4 cup flour, dill, baking powder, and 1/2 teaspoon salt. With a fork, gradually stir in 1/2 cup milk to form a moist and soft batter. It should be just a little thicker than pancake batter and should easily drop from the tip of a spoon. (Add additional 2 tablespoons milk if too thick.) Set aside. Stir peas into pot. Drop batter over all in 10 heaping tablespoons Keep them spaced apart (dumplings will swell as they cook). Cover, and simmer until chicken is tender and dumplings are firm, 20 min.

Pin It!

No comments: